Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Medium on The Housewives of Beverly Hills

December 19, 2010

So I just found myself watching a television show that has truly left me stunned.  After spending the day teaching a Level 2 Intuitive Empowerment class where we focused on accessing mediumship abilities and connecting with loved ones in spirit, i noticed that Alison Dubois was going to be on television tonight.  Alison is an internationally renowned medium and the premise for the television series "Medium".  In her television show, Alison focuses heavily on the ethics of her work.  Today's class I too focused on the ethical responsibility of shamanic mediumship while guiding students through meaningful connections with spirit.  It was a profoundly fulfilling day.

Apparently the show is a reality based series called "The Housewives of Beverly Hills".  Don't tune me out yet! I can barely believe I watched it either!  I watched because I wanted to see Alison!! Well, I have to say I was disheartened. First, Alison was drinking heavily while being filmed and while under the influence of alcohol, she shared psychic "hits" with the party guests  who did not know her/  She was a guest, not there for entertainment.  Alison claimed to be able to see "when the party guests were going to die", laughing that one of the guests was "married for a second time but that the marriage would end up badly soon", calling individual guests "bitches" and "morally bankrupt".  She claimed to be "off the clock" and yet raved about her own "gifts" and how others should be fascinated by her as a result of her abilities.  She instigated arguments and told a stay-at-home mother that she "has done nothing of value with her life". 

I do not know what was happening for Alison Dubios at the time of this filming.  I can only comment on what I witnessed.  And let me begin by saying this....

Mediumship is not for entertainment. It is not meant for casual conversation.  As I understand it, a divine messenger will never be given hits that are judgmental about another.  Judgment is a filter of the ego; not a message from the divine.  Nor will a medium be given offensive language to describe another.  It will be neutral and factual but not offensive.  If that medium is truly plugged into a divine source, he or she will see the whole truth of the individual. An example I can give to you about this very subject is when I sat for a client and saw that her husband was engaged in something very harmful.  The divine guides sharing this insight with me had no judgment of him instead, they provided specific guidance to 1) awaken the client from her denial; 2) support the truth and safety of the children, 3) stop the offense and hold him accountable.  The entire message served to bring healing to all concerned. 

When a medium is plugged into the divine channels and spirit, compassion will emanate from that messenger. At the very least, you will experience the messages as neutral but fundamentally empowering to the client at a soul level. 

Alcohol deteriorates the energy field of the user.  It diffuses the messages, no matter what the messenger claims.  She happens to claim it makes her more "spot on".   The concern is not with her drinking. To engage in offering "psychic hits" while under the influence of alcohol and while voluntarily being filmed is not just irresponsible, it creates suffering.  Liken it to a doctor giving his/her medical opinion to a friend after having 3 cocktails. Would you consider that to be a worthwhile consult?  I do not care if Alison wasn't "on the clock" as professional medium, ethical boundaries do not just pertain to when you are "working".  

Psychic Boundaries are the responsibility of the professional, not the recipient. The guests at this party were completely infatuated and curious with Alison's abilities.  This is understandable because even though every human is innately intuitive and capable of connecting with spirit, we have a tendency to believe that this is a gift given only to a few. The party guests were pressing her for insights and because she'd had some cocktails, was therefore very relaxed and  overtly  infatuated with her own abilities, she did not have the good sense to say "I am at a party, enjoying a cocktail and need to refrain from any psychic activity for now". The guests did not understand the boundary was hers to establish and hold.

There is a divine purpose to mediumship encounters. Today in class I shared how my guides had encouraged me to teach the value of mediumship from a shamanic point of view.  According to my divine helping spirit shamanic mediumship is meant to: 
  1. Awaken the individuals participating in the encounter. 
  2. Bring closure, meaning and healing to all concerned
  3. Uplift, inspire and even empower the client and all concerned.
  4. bring through validations that souls are eternal and life is in a continuous evolutionary process
  5. Provide connections that reassure the living that we are never alone;
  6. Remind us all that we are all loved - even those who seem 'morally bankrupt" (Alison's language) because divine spirits are consistently aiding us into a higher state of consciousness and living!  
  7. Remind everyone that mediumship is never for the sake of entertainment or casual conversation; it is always purposeful and it is never meant to dis-empower anyone.
  8. And it will never promote the power or gifted skills of the medium over anyone. 
Witnessing a professional medium on television handle herself in such an insensitive and in my opinion, an unethical manner was disheartening.  I know Alison Dubois is talented. I've been a fan of her show mostly because it helped me to feel less alone in this world when it first aired.  It was the only television show that validated the experiences I had lived through as a medium.  But talent and responsible ethics are not the same thing.  Because we shamanic practitioners and mediums stand on the fringe of cultural acceptance, we each have a responsibility to clearly offer our services in alignment with their divine purpose.  As humans, naturally we will waver.  But it is my hope, that when we do, we openly reflect on our missteps and share the lessons we may be learning as a result of our derailment. 

What you do think about mediumship and its purpose? Did you catch the episode?  I have to admit I felt like a gawker watching a bad accident.  I just couldn't believe my eyes and yet I watched the whole thing to its intensely uncomfortable conclusion.  Whether or not you saw the show, I'd like to hear your thoughts about mediumship.    

(Shaman means an individual who is capable of accessing and understanding the world of spirit at will while living soundly in the material world.  A Shaman navigates both the non-ordinary realities of non-duality and ordinary reality at will. Shamans are innate healers. Shaman is a word originating from the Turko-Mongol and Tungusic cultures in Siberia.  It is not a Native American word)

1 comment:

mrkdvsn said...

After reading this blog, I would like to demand more articles again and again. I am feeling myself as satisfy by got to know these all such information which never came to my knowledge. Please writer more.cursus mediumschap