Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I have spent my life amongst sages
And found nothing better
For a soul than silence
~Rav Shimeon Ben Gamliel

For Jews around the world, sunset marks the beginning of the new year, 5772. The holiday is known as Rosh Hashana meaning “head of the year” in Hebrew. Rosh Hashana begins a 10 day period of deep reflection known as the 10 Days of Awe culminating the highest of holy days called Yom Kippur. Yom Kippur is a day of atonement.


As a shamanic practitioner and intuitive medium, I honor the traditions of my ancestors and use this time to deepen my connection to my soul and divine spirit.  Because Rosh Hashanah is a time to listen deeply to the truths of ourselves, I honor this call. This is a time to reflect and realign with our bodies, our breath, our spirit; with one another; with the earth and the divine mystery unfolding in all life. 


We can all use this time to reflect no matter what religious or spiritual path we honor. The Akashic Records are open for review for this 10 Day period and I so I conduct a searching and fearless moral inventory of my life. I reflect on my relationship with the divine, my soul's purpose and contemplate on how to bring that purpose into consistent meaningful action. I contemplate in meditation and shamanic journey questions like:
  • How can I best live my life with deep loving compassion for all and reflect this in all my actions?
  • Where have I avoided knowing myself and have fallen away from my soul’s truth?
  • Where have I denied the cries of another?
  • How can I better cultivate mindfulness?
  • What habits no longer serve me that can be now put to rest? And how do I do so soulfully?
  • How can I best serve the divine and life on earth? What does the divine need me to know?
This year, I will begin the holiday feasting with family and listening to my daughter sing at the opening services for Rosh Hashana. On Saturday I will be engaging in an indigenous sweat lodge to mark the process of opening, clearing, forgiveness and healing for me, the participants and for all suffering throughout humanity and life. I will reflect all week mindfully and then quiet myself on Yom Kippur, fasting in silent mindfulness meditation and prayerful communion with spirit which culminates in a festive break-fast celebration with family.


One does not need to celebrate this holiday to take time for deep reflection. Today you can choose to breathe deeply into your body, elongate your breath and feel into your being.
  • Who are you?
  • What is your soul’s deepest desire?
  • What brings you joy?
  • What moves you?
  • Who do you love? And how do you express this love?
  • How can you honor your soul’s truth today?
  • If you knew you could not fail, what would you do differently?
  • How can you nurture your being compassionately now?
  • How can you express kindness in your life today?
  • What do you appreciate? How do you express appreciation?
  • Who are you? 

May this time and year be one of deep renewal, abundant blessings and loving grace for all. “LaShana Tova Tikatevu” and Namaste ~



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori, thanks for sharing your questions. Its giving me something to work with this week. Happy New Year.