Friday, September 16, 2011

Meditating to the Nightly News

I have often encouraged Intuitive Empowerment students to practice listening to their innate intuitive truth in the midst of daily life chaos. But can you imagine meditating while watching The Bachelor? Recently a close friend told me about his teacher's suggestion that he deliberately meditate while watching an agitating television show. He was given specific instruction to watch the television show, then turn it off and on while practicing mindfulness.



can you imagine meditating while watching the nightly news?


It is so much easier to cultivate equanimity and honor our soul's wisdom within the perfect setting, without interruptions or obligations that stir our chattering mind. But we live in a world that is in constant motion and much of it chaotic. It takes consistent practice to cultivate calmness while our environment tempts us into distractions.

Meditation is the foundation of peace and intuitive living. Meditation practice positively impacts the autonomic nervous system that regulates the body's primary functions. Research studies show that digestion, blood pressure, heart health, diabetes, infertility, concentration and general wellbeing can be improved through the practice of meditation.

sounds nice Lori, but I cannot sit quietly for that long! Do I have to sit for hours chanting Ohm?

Our culture is highly focused on doing, so cultivating a practice non-doing is understandbly uncomfortable for most. But if one is willing to learn and practice, the benefits will be vast and deep - and they will outweigh the initial discomforts.

yes, you can do this.

Meditation is a deliberate state of full attentiveness to what is present without any judgment, evaluation or attempt to change what is witnessed. Usually, one sits, lays or walks while focusing on the breath, a word or phrase; or an intention. This is done for a sustained period of time.


I first began to meditate with no formal instruction. I sat upright in a chair, relaxed my facial muscles, and rested my hands on my lap. I took several deep breaths, into my lower abdomen and elongated my exhale. Allowing my breath to find its natural rhythm, I began to simply observe its flow. I imagined myself on a riverbank watching my thoughts float downstream. Concerned about my ability to "stop my thoughts", I instead held the intention to stay on the bank and let my thoughts float by without judgment. Occasionally I discovered myself swimming in the river and without evaluation; I pulled myself back on shore and continued my practice.


my first session lasted three minutes. woo hoo!

But the next day I meditated for five minutes. Five grew into fifteen and that soon became thirty minutes. Before long, my spirit longed for my meditation practice to open up and stretch into my body, mind and emotions.


I had to establish a schedule that included meditation. To date, I awaken, engage in a yoga and/or qi gong exercise flow, breathing preparations and meditation.

There are many ways to practice meditation. I engage in a variety of approaches. And like tools in a tool-kit, I draw the one needed at each sitting. But I practice in silence most every day, to cultivate intuitive processing, insight and equanimity.  And then practice my meditative presence throughout the day. 

what you cultivate on the cushion
will grow into your life off the cushion



Like all new skills, meditation simply takes practice until the body, mind and spirit become synchronistic. It takes time to be willing to witness the chattering mind without that becoming engaging. Eventually allow it to dissipate. And it can be so much easier to practice in a group.

Meditation is the foundation of intuitive empowerment. The willingness to be in the stillness of one's being allows the soul's wisdom to surface into consciousness. It makes it possible to experience Shamanic Journeying, Mindfulness and other experiences that directly link one to spirit. Engaging in meditation daily allows you to grow your compassion for self and humanity, free yourself from the drama of life's ups and downs and release yourself from internalized projections that limit your thriving.

Through meditation practice you will grow more confident in your ability to trust your spirit's guidance, enhance your health, improve your relationships and cultivate equanimity. And your psychic and intuitive skills will grow in direct proportion to your practice.

intuitive skill grows through the practice of meditation

I teach various methods for meditation to enhance one's intuitive connection to the divine including shamanic journeying; contemplative and mindfulness practices; guided imagery; heart centered meditation. Intuitive Empowerment workshops are now being offered as a weekend intensive this fall in Royal Oak and Oxford Michigan. For details check www.lorilipten.com






No comments: