Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sweet Surrender

While walking on a treadmill in my home in 2002, an angel reached down from above me and touched my forehead. Suddenly, I knew that a young boy who was no longer physically alive, needed to speak with his mother. His name, age and manner of death were all revealed to me. Though interacting angels was already a part of my life, I had never been asked to share a message from the deceased to the living before this moment. “Don’t you know that I am not medium?” I declared to the angel who was not moved by my objections and simply said: “Michael* needs to speak with his mother.” I asked, “How do I do such a thing?” and I was immediately shown a clear image of someone I knew casually. “Call her now; she knows the boy and mother” said the angel.


I was being asked to place the strangest phone of my life. I imagined a scenario somewhat like: “Hi there, I am Lori – you know, Sam’s mom from our children’s playgroup. While on the treadmill this morning an angel touched my forehead…um…yes, I said an angel….yes, yes… the angel touched me and no I haven’t been drinking or recently released from psychiatric care…..yes, I see angels….yes, before today…yep I see them….ok.. Before you hang up, do you know a young boy named Michael* who inexplicably passed away who has a mother named Jane*? “


What would you do?


I placed the call.


And yes, the woman I called knew exactly of whom I was speaking. It was her cousin. She contacted Jane and two days later the boy’s mother called me. As we spoke on the phone, I relayed messages to the mother of a young boy whose spirit stood in my kitchen. We spoke for two hours. I could feel the energy of these messages touching the heart and soul of this grieving mother as she validated their accuracy. The boy was surrounded by loved ones in spirit and angels who were helping him as he was working to be freed from the pull of his mother’s despair. I noticed that her suffering was impacting his ascension process but as his messages were received by her, he grew lighter.


After the call, I was awed by the inexplicable interaction with this woman and spirit. I fell to my knees and cried: Who am I to bring through such messages? Dear God what do you want me to do with this?


I was a wife and mother living in suburbia. I had left a successful corporate career upon the birth of my daughter and was planning to attend graduate school to earn my doctorate in clinical psychology in the fall. I intended to develop a private practice, open a healing center, lead workshops and teach at the college level. But the divine had another plan for me. Slowly I released the tight hold to my goals and opened to a completely different idea for supporting others through their healing process.


How often have you been invited by spirit to let go of what you think you need to do; what you want; or where you should go for something unknown and likely far greater than your mind can envision? When you truly listen and allow divine spirit to flow into your consciousness, you will first feel the tension between what you believe you should be/do/have/want and what is true. I had deep judgments about the idea of being some kind of "psychic". I envisioned carrying a crystal ball, wearing scarves and long gowns! And my rational mind likes research and factual evidence. Being asked to do readings felt like I was being asked to jump off the edge of the Grand Canyon. It was letting go of what I expected and how I saw my self and it was letting go of what seemed rational and doable for something unknown and not readily accepted. But through the art of surrender, I learned that I was never being set up to fail. I was opening to a whole new way of being in the world; exploring the depth of consciousness and that which exists beyond the scope of our limited abilities to adequately quantify.


When you surrender into that higher wisdom that aligns you with spiritual purpose and divine order, you will discover a grounding fulfillment and sense of serenity that can only be realized through this type of letting go. Like me, you may enjoy checking off the items on your codependent-ego-driven-to-do-list. But doing so will not evolve, fulfill or truly serve the highest good of life.


The ego isn’t too keen on this idea. First of all, it has stuff to accomplish. It has to prove itself worthy by earning more; getting more; accomplishing more. It has to keep you busy so you will not discover who you are. So the ego resists surrender, because it views it as defeat.


Surrendering to a higher source of wisdom takes a courageous willingness and knowing that you are not bound by the constructs that shape your personality. As you move into the intelligence of your soul through your intuitive processing, you will hear the challenges rising from every learned belief you have inherited that defines you and your world. Because the ego denies your true infinite essence it requires more from the physical world to satisfy its cravings. The ego is never at peace and when you are led by it, you are never peaceful. Surrendering to a higher power will feel horrifying because your ego will require evidence for your choices. You will be urged only to do that which you can prove, that which supports your identified code of conduct.

Your intuitive truth does not abandon all reason.  It supplies you with resources and a clear pathway for fulfilling soulful calls.  It never asks you to suffer for intuitive choices. 

Your spirit exists in a complete unity with all-that-is. There is nothing you lack when you are fully conscious of your true self. You are neither fear or doubt  - or the obligations that sustain both. When you surrender to your soul self, you are aligned with values that serve the highest good of life. You cannot cause harm, exploit or deceive any aspect of life when you live intuitively. Rationalizations, minimizations and denials are experiences for the ego. Acceptance, noticing, being and empowered action are the providence of intuitive living.


Today I am a student of surrender. I experience it as an art of relaxing the body, mind and emotions through focusing on my breath. It allows me to sense my true nature and no longer identify with the fears swarming through my ever-present monkey-mind. That is a practice, as I feel into the expanse of my soul’s true essence and honor the intuitive call to actions without resistance. There is no emotional turmoil associated with intuition; only a fluid dance with the truth. So when resistances arise, I know the ego is working hard to prove its case.  I practice noticing compassionately, calming my body and choosing to honor the highest truth.  Each step I take in this state of surrender ensures I am living in harmony with life.


This is what I now do for a living. I sit with individuals or groups of people and I attune, align and allow divine essence to pour through me in service of the highest good of all concerned. Labels like "medium", "healer" "shamanic practitioner" don't truly fit but they do allow many to have an inkling about what might happen in a session or class with me.  My practice is allowing: it is the art of sweet surrender. And that description may not work too well on a business card, I know.  Though I may speak with loved one's in spirit, encounter the akashic records and discover soulful essence of my clients or teach soul retrieval and shamanic journeying......in truth each encounter is all about showing up and surrendering - nothing more – and nothing less.


*the names were changed to protect privacy.

1 comment:

janjan said...

I am at a crossroads yet again, I'm quite happy being there, I have no immediate agenda so I am just enjoying the view. But things are starting to shift again.
This morning while making coffee a thought sprang to mind about the ego and how I am letting it decide things for me, I know in the past I have managed to overide it but I seem to be 'allowing' it to take over.
I had forgotten all about your blog and while I was clearing my blog list (I'm a blog junkie)you sort of popped out, screaming READ ME. The whole post resonated with me, I 'got it'. Thank you. It is just what I need and want to hear right at this moment in time.

Blessings in your day

Jan